- You can add a Spotify widget to your phone’s home screen on both iPhone and Android.
- The Spotify widget on iPhone shows you the albums and playlists you’ve been listening to recently.
- On Android, the Spotify widget allows you to play, pause, rewind and rewind through your songs.
- Visit the Insiders Tech Reference Library for more stories.
Widgets are small pop-ups that give you information or give you access to your favorite apps without having to open them. In particular, your phone comes preloaded with widgets for the weather, your photos and more. And as you install new apps, your widget list just gets bigger.
Spotify now offers widgets for both iPhone and Androids. What the widget does on both devices is a little different, but both are just as simple to install.
How to get the Spotify widget on your phone’s home screen and quickly access all your favorite songs.
This also works on iPads.
1. Tap and hold your finger on any empty space on your iPhone’s home screen or on the dedicated widget page on the far left.
2. When everything starts to shake, press the plus sign displayed in the upper left corner of the screen.
3. Scroll down to the long list of each app that offers a widget and select Spotify.
4. Choose the size of the widget – it can be either a small square or a long rectangle – and then press Add widget.
5. The Spotify widget appears on the page you selected. Press and hold to drag it around and move it to the location you want.
6. Once you have placed it, press done in the upper right corner.
Depending on the size you choose, your iPhone’s Spotify widget displays the last playlist or album you listened to, or the last five albums and playlists. Tap one of them to launch Spotify and jump directly to that playlist or album.
To move or delete the widget later, just tap and hold it like any app.
1. Tap and hold an empty spot on your Android Home screen, then tap Widgets when the setting is displayed.
2. The widgets menu appears. Scroll down and select Spotify.
3. It will offer you a “4 x 1” widget. Tap and hold your finger on this widget, then drag and drop it to the location you want.
When you release the widget, it will change to show the song you are currently playing. You can then use its controls to play, pause, rewind and rewind through your music. You can also tap the song name to launch Spotify and jump directly to the album or playlist you are listening to from.
To move or delete the widget later, tap and hold it like any app.