- Enchantment tables in Minecraft are made by combining diamonds, obsidian, lapis lazuli, and a book.
- Enchantment tables give your gear magical buffs, such as increased durability.
- Enchanted weapons and armor are some of the best gear in all of Minecraft.
For as simple as Minecraft seems when you first start – punch a tree, craft, repeat – you’ll eventually reach a point when things get more complicated, and more fantastic. Think magic portals, deadly dragons, glowing pyramids, and more.
You even have the power to use magic yourself through the enchantment table item (also known as the “enchanting” table). The enchantment table can enhance your weapons, armor, and other gear with magical upgrades. For instance, some spells make your tools work faster and last longer, while others will protect you.
Here’s what you’ll need to make an enchantment table, and how to get the most out of it.
How to make an enchantment table in Minecraft
Creating an enchantment table in Minecraft requires one book, two diamonds, and four blocks of obsidian; powering the table will also require lapis lazuli.
To get a book
1. Gather leather. Leather can be acquired by killing cows.
2. Gather sugar cane – found near water in a swamp or desert biome. Once you have your sugar cane, place the pieces in equal amounts along one horizontal row in the crafting area, and grab the paper that’s created.
3. Now, take your leather and three pieces of paper to create a book. You can arrange them in any four blocks in the 3×3 crafting table area, as long as each piece of paper is separate.
Gather diamond, obsidian, and lapis lazuli
The best way to find diamond, obsidian, and lapis lazuli is by mining. This can take some time and you’ll want to bring torches, food, weapons, and a bucket of water with you.
Once you’ve got your diamonds – you’ll need at least two – find a pool of standing lava and pour your bucket of water into it. This will create obsidian, which you’ll need at least a diamond pickaxe to mine. You’ll need at least four blocks of obsidian.
Through all this, keep on the lookout for lapis lazuli. This is a dark blue ore that can be found nearly anywhere. The more lapis lazuli you collect, the better – you’ll need to use them to make enchantments.
Once you’ve got all your materials, it’s time to use a crafting table. In the 3×3 crafting area:
1. Place the book in the top-middle slot.
2. Place the diamonds in the left and right slots of the second row, leaving the middle slot empty.
3. Place the obsidian in the middle-center slot, between the diamonds, and then fill the bottom row with obsidian as well.
You now have an enchantment table, ready to place down and use. Note that if you want to move it later, you’ll need to use a pickaxe; simply punching it will destroy the table.
Where to find an enchanting table in creative mode
How to use an enchantment table in Minecraft
The enchanting table can enchant your tools, armor, and most gear (exceptions, like elytra, can instead be enchanted at the anvil).
How to open an enchanting table
1. Place the Enchanting Table.
2. Open the enchanting table by right clicking it, tapping on it, or by pressing LT, L2, or ZL, depending on your platform.
Enhancing the enchantment table with bookshelves
You can make the enchantment table more powerful using bookshelves. Surrounding the table with bookshelves will give you access to higher enchantment levels, up to maximum level of 30. To reach level 30, you’ll need 15 bookshelves total.
How to craft a bookshelf:
1. For one bookshelf, you’ll need three books and six planks. The planks can be made of any type of wood, so create planks using whichever tree type is nearest.
2. Place the six planks in the top and bottom rows of the crafting table’s 3×3 grid.
3. Place the books in the center row of the crafting area grid.
Once you’ve created 15 bookshelves, you’ll arrange them in either a one-story, almost-full circle of 15 bookshelves that surround your enchantment table, or you can make two-story bookshelves that flank two sides of the enchantment table.
Whatever you do, just make sure there’s at least one block of empty space between the bookshelves and your table.
How to enchant with an enchanting table
1. Open the enchanting table
2. Add the item you want to enchant into the first box in the enchanting table.
3. Place three lapis lazuli into the second box, beside the item in step 2.
4. Select the enchantment you wish to apply and move the item back to your inventory.