- To use iMessage on an Android, download the AirMessage app and link it to your Mac.
- When you send a message from your Android, AirMessage runs it through Mac first.
- iMessages are like regular texts, but they are sent over the Internet and have a characteristic blue color.
- Visit the Insiders Tech Reference Library for more stories.
It sounds silly to some, but “blue bubble” envy is real. There is a huge amount of users getting rid of their Android phones specifically because they cannot use iMessage. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with SMS – people just like the blue iMessage bubbles.
But what these users may not know is that you able to send and receive iMessage messages from your Android. It requires some setup and you need to have access to a Mac computer, but it works well.
How to get iMessage on your Android so people can text you without running into green bubbles.
How to use iMessage on Android
To do this, you need an Android phone and a Mac computer.
First, you need an Apple ID account. All iMessages must go through an Apple ID associated with your phone number.
1. Create an Apple ID on the official website and link it to your phone number. If you already have an Apple ID that is not associated with your number, go to the Apple ID website and sign in, then click Account security and add your number.
2. Log in to your Apple ID in your Mac’s System Preferences app by clicking Log in in the upper right corner.
3. Once logged in, go to Apple ID menu and click Name, phone, email in the left sidebar.
4. Below Can be reached at heading, click the plus sign.
5. choose Phone number and enter your number, then enter the code sent to you.
6. Then open the Messages app and sign in to your Apple ID there as well.
You have now set up your Apple ID on your Mac. Now you need to configure AirMessage.
Setting up AirMessage
Next, configure AirMessage, the app that lets you send iMessages.
1. On your Mac, go to the AirMessage website and download AirMessage server for macOS, then extract the file and move the app to yours Application folder.
2. Open AirMessage on your Mac and create or connect an account. You also need to give the app disk access.
3. You also need to prevent your Mac from falling asleep – if it is asleep or the lid is closed, you will not be able to direct your messages. Open System Preferences, and then click Power Saver or Battery to change these settings.
4. Then install AirMessage on your Android and open it.
5. Log in to your account in the Android app and it will automatically connect your devices.
6. Press the blue chat icon in the lower right corner of the app and enter a number to which you want to send an iMessage. A pop-up will appear on your Mac stating that AirMessage will use the Messages app – allow it.
Now you can send and receive iMessages directly from your Android, as long as both it and your Mac are turned on and connected to the Internet.