Kyle Shanahan Confirms Trey Lance Is Out For The Rest Of The Year



USA TODAY Sports

In the wake of the 49ers quarterback’s broken ankle Trey Lance by week two, there had been some uncertainty as to whether Lance has a chance to play again this year.

On Wednesday, coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters that Lance will not return later in the regular season, or in the postseason (if the 49ers make it).

“He’s out until next season,” Shanahan said.

It’s unclear if Lance would have a chance to recover and be ready to go. If so, Shanahan doesn’t seem interested in going that route.

So now it’s about getting Lance ready for 2023. Shanahan was asked about Lance’s ghosts.

“He’s doing the best you can,” Shanahan said. “Trey has been great. Some guys, we’ve all talked a lot with him, and he’s trying to get to the game this week. I don’t think he’ll be able to until the swelling goes down, but he’ll be back soon and be a part of us.”

Lance will presumably be part of the team next year; he’s under contract until 2024. But the pressure will be greater than ever on Lance as he enters his third NFL season. It’s not his fault. The circumstances add pressure and expectations that he did not negotiate on. From the third pick to the 49ers who give up so much to let him have Jimmy Garoppolo joining the team in 2021 and 2022 to see Garoppolo possibly play so well this year that the 49ers might bring him back next year, Lance has had something very different from the typical first-round quarterback experience.

Year three is often the first round season for signal callers. Even if Lance’s deferral period is extended, he’s nearing its end — without doing much to trick anyone into thinking he could be the long-term answer in San Francisco.



Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.