The UN responds to Musk Dare with a plan to tackle world hunger

  • Elon Musk dared the UN to show him how $ 6 billion could fight world hunger.
  • The UN has returned to the world’s richest person with a proposal.
  • Musk said he would “sell Tesla shares and do so” if the UN could show how the money would be spent.

Elon Musk dared the UN to show him how $ 6 billion of his wealth could alleviate world hunger. On Monday, the UN returned to him with a plan.

The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) determined how $ 6.6 billion in investment could prevent 42 million people in 43 countries from starving. The leader of the WFP, David Beasley, called Musk, by far the richest person in the world, in one tweet announcement of the proposal.

“This hunger crisis is urgent, unprecedented AND can be avoided. @Elonmusk, you asked for a clear plan and open books. Here it is!” said Beasley. “We are ready to talk to you – and everyone else – who is serious about saving lives.”

At the end of last month, Musk challenged WFP to explain how $ 6 billion could solve world hunger. He said that if the organization could show exactly how the money would be spent, he would “sell Tesla shares right now and do it.”

Musk’s challenge was in response to a CNN interview with Beasley, in which he urged billionaires such as Musk and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos to inject $ 6 billion – a small amount compared to their huge fortunes – to save millions of people who risk of starvation.

WFP’s proposal, entitled “A one-time appeal to billionaires”, describes how billions donated by the world’s richest people can be used to stave off hunger. It includes $ 3.5 billion for food and its delivery and $ 2 billion for cash and food stamps, among other expenses.

Leave a Comment